PALS español 1-3 identifies students’ literacy strengths in their native Spanish language in order to accelerate English reading and spelling development. Early assessment with PALS español helps teachers:
- Identify students’ literacy strengths in their native Spanish.
- Individualize instruction to accelerate reading development in both English and Spanish.
- Identify students with reading difficulties without waiting until they are proficient enough to be assessed in English.
PALS español 1-3 tracks the literacy progress of students who:
- Receive instruction in both English and Spanish.
- Are transitioning from Spanish to English instruction.
- Speak Spanish at home and English at school.
PALS español 1-3 were developed at the University of Virginia through rigorous research, which included a review of all tasks and items by an advisory board consisting of experts in bilingual literacy and native Spanish speakers from a variety of Spanish-speaking countries.